Gianluigi Buffon leaves door open for Italy return

Gianluigi Buffon has left the door open to a Italy return just two weeks after calling time on his international career. 

The 39-year-old left the San Siro pitch in tears on November 13 after his 175th appearance for the Azzurri ended in defeat as Italy failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup finals after being beaten 1-0 on aggregate by Sweden in a play-off.

But Buffon insists he will always be available to play for Italy. 

‘I took a break from the national team, but I could never desert a possible call in the future if needed,’ he told reporters at the Gran Gala del Calcio.

‘I’m of a certain age, so it’s right for me to take a pause.

‘With the way I am though, if there were a total absence of goalkeepers and they asked me to come back, I’d be there even at 60.’  

Buffon has added to his huge silverware collection after winning the Serie A Best Player award at the Gran Gala del Calcio.

The legendary Italian picked up the award for his performances during the 2016-17 season at a star-studded ceremony in Milan on Monday, organised by the Italian Football Federation. 

Buffon has previously said that this season will be his last unless Juventus win the Champions League, in which case he will stay on to play at the Club World Cup



About us

Betnumbers offers free daily bet tips on football (soccer) games all over the world with over 65% success rate.

© 2017 betnumbers.com all rights reserved

web design - XTD